Re: [ARSCLIST] Exactly how many labels did RCA press records for in the 50s/60s ?

Clarification please.I have seen very few DJ/promo copies of commercially issued RCA Lps.

Do you mean white promo Mercuries ? Motowns ?

Promo copies usually were better anyway,even for labels like US  70s Warners,

                                         Roger

Bob Olhsson <olh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: -----Original Message-----
>From Tom Fine: "...RCA knew more about vinyl compounds and how to use
biscuit contents to balance
s/n against cost better than anyone else in the U.S."

Their DJ copies were spectacular, better than any audiophile pressings I've
ever encountered. The rationale was that they could be played many more
times before needing to be replaced which, of course, would always be at
RCA's expense.

Unfortunately our (Motown's) DJ copies were never made this way by RCA. I've
always suspected they simply didn't make them available to competitors. I
wouldn't even know about pressings of this quality if I hadn't spent a few
months as the music director of a college station.

Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
615.385.8051 http://www.hyperback.com    http://thewombforums.com