[ARSCLIST] Dynadoodoo Re: [ARSCLIST] Exactly how many labels did RCA press records for in the 50s/60s ?

I seek out UK "dynagroove" pressings since the English just mastered them the same as the rest of their records (IE really well). I don't think that RCA sent them the dynagroove processed tapes. I believe the tapes sent to the US RCA cutting guys were pre-distored. In other words, the guys doing the cutting weren't integral to the dynagroove process. That's my understanding. I've been told by more than once source that the dynagroove process occurred at HQ where different EQ and distortion was added to a subsequent master to be used for cutting. The distortion and EQ would change the further into the side you got.

I have quite a few RCA pop and jazz records that sound good. It's funny that RCA decided to follow Columbia's lead in producing good sounding jazz/pop and bad sounding classical. By the early '70s, most good sounding classical was coming from England. It's a shame that they changed anything from the early '60s. They may have had access to better microphones and tape decks, but the bad production values more than eliminated any gains in the quality of equipment available to the engineers. Hell, I'd take tape hiss and saturation with a simple microphone setup any day (as opposed to 1,000 microphones, a team of guys in lab coats, and lots of monkey business).

Phillip

Roger and Allison Kulp wrote:
Yep,Dynagroove sucked the proverbial donkey balls,,but the ones pressed by RCA for other labels did not use that process.They sound more like LSCs.

Are you aware that a lot of the RCA pop/rock/country Lps of the '63-'69 era were not Dynagroove ?

As for Dynafloppies,I suggest you seek out the original British,German (TELDEC),Japanese,French.or Australian pressings instead.

Roger

phillip holmes <insuranceman@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote: Usually awful sound identifies the Dynagroove pressing. Later, they gave us Dynagroove and Dynaflex for awful sound on awful vinyl. A pox on whoever had the idea.

Dan Nelson wrote:
What is being used to identify an RCA pressing?
1) Dyna groove format with raised outer edge and label
area?
What about before RCA introduced this format ?
2) Distinctive engraving in spiral area, numbers.
lettering, etc ?
thanks dnw

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ