Re: [ARSCLIST] Any early Victor experts who can tell me more about this issue?

It is,of course,the label,and sticker that makes this interesting.I had never seen one like it before.We have all seen the classical Lps,from the 60s,and 70s,on HMV/Electrola,with Odeon stickers,plastered over Nipper,so as to be imported into the US.This is apparently,is the reverse.I am also confused,by the fact,that this is a batwing pressing.I had thought,by the time the batwings were adopted, The Gramophone Company,had become The Gramophone Company,and had dropped the "Typewriter" from their name.

Oh,and I am aware of "The Gramophone Shop",even though I am a bit sketchy on their history.I have an Erika Morini Beethoven set,on HMV,from 1920,or '21, in one of their fancy custom albums,I once bought at  a Goodwill.

                                  Roger

Michael Shoshani <mshoshani@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: Steven Smolian wrote:
> This is a half-label, pasted on a regular Victor pressing.  The "dog and
> horn" trademark could not be imported to the continent from the U.S. nor
> the reverse (there are Victor half-labels as well).  The two companies
> operated a cartel dividing the world.  The unaltered trademark kept
> Victor product from being sold in the Gramophone Company's territory,
> etc. Customs would either send them back or, if they got throgh and were
> placed on sale, often resulted in pulling the importer's franchise.

I posted what I did earlier from work, but after reading this decided to
check my collection once I got home. My memory had severely failed me:
the pressings I have (Victor 71030 being in my hand) were pressed by
Victor from G&T Matrices.  What threw me off was the label, which is the
black pre-exhibition VICTOR RECORD label, but in an arc over Nipper it
says "Recorded in Europe by the Gramophone & Typewriter Ltd. For sale in
North and South America Only". The back of this disc has a greatly
simplified version of the Recording Angel trademark, minus the
GRAMOPHONE ring but bearing "Reg. U.S. Pat. Off."

Sorry for the misremembrance...age and all that...

Michael Shoshani