Re: [ARSCLIST] preservation best practice - to dolby decode or not

Hello, Eric,

I think it's confusing to apply digital terminology to an analog process.

Since the amplitude resolution of an analog chain is essentially infinite between the noise floor and the clip point, there are no quantization steps.

Dolby, dbx, and Telcom all use audio level modification (called compression on the record side, but not in the same sense as data compression, and called expansion on the playback side--or compander for the entire process). The magic in this is how the hardware tracks between record and play, how various frequency-response adjustments to the compander (complementary between encode/decode (record/play), and how band splitting is achieved (most Dolby processes and the Telcom process).

It is prehaps easiest to envision how the dbx process works.

Centered approximately around VU Meter 0, there is a 2:1 decibel compression on the encode and a 1:2 decibel compression on the decode side.

So if we take a signal from -60 to + 20 (80 dB of dynamic range) and feed it into a dbx encoder, the output signal runs from -30 to + 10 (and has some frequency skewing added). On decode, the same signal has the frequency skewing removed, and is expanded out to -60 to + 20 again.

Since the tape is recording only a 40 dB dynamic range, any noise that is added (let's say the noise floor of the tape is -40 dB (on a pro machine it will be better) is expanded downward along with the signal. If the tape noise is -40 dB within the dbx encoded chain, on reproduce, it will be expanded downwards to -80 dB.

Since there are no quantization steps in an analog signal, nothing is lost in the 40 dB compressed signal -- in fact it's made more robust, as the weakest signals are substantially higher than they were, and thus remain separated from the noise floor). Also, the loudest signals are made less, so they can be fed over channels with lower headroom.

If everything is working correctly, nothing is lost in the encode-decode cycle. However, the system introduces small bursts of temporal gain errors if the encode and decode do not track properly. The Telcom system is reported to have perhaps the best performance of the three. It has the benefits of the Dolby system in being multi-band so that loud signals in one band don't affect the noise performance in another band and it has the benefits of having greater compression and being multiplicative like dbx so that there are reduced headroom requirements and less of an issue with encoded channel gain calibration.

Encoded channel gain calibration is one of the Achilles heels of the Dolby system, which is why there is all the fuss about lineup tones.

In any companding noise-reduction system, anomalies in the frequency-amplitude response of the noisy transport channel (tape or microwave) will be amplified by the amount of compression.

Yes, there is more high-frequency energy in all of the companded signals, but they bear absolutely no relationship to the highs in the original performance. You are NOT losing those highs when you run them through a Dolby decoder, but rather you are placing the highs at appropriate levels that match (within the system error margin) those recorded at the beginning.

While I am an advocate of storing the un-processed Dolby recording in the digital domain along with the processed recording, it is only because there can be errors and malfunctions in the Dolby decode process (and even errors in the Dolby--or other system--encode process and storing the un-decoded recording will permit greater opportunities to recover from that broken system later if it is not noticed at the time of playback.

In other words, I think best practice for digitizing a two channel Dolby tape is to archive four 96/24 channels, two encoded--raw off the tape--and two decoded. You can do that easily with the mults in your jackfield.

However, except in the rare (but not unheard of) event that the Dolby metadata is incorrect (i.e., there is the sticker on the reel and it doesn't belong to that tape), they you still have the un-decoded version to work with.

I have seen multi-track tapes with not all channels processed (and in one instance only one channel was processed--I think it was the lead vocal).

I wish we had taken a tape track approach to noise reduction rather than the Dolby/dbx/Telcom/ approach -- and at least Sanyo, Nakamichi, and Burwen also had incompatible systems -- to noise reduction. I think the Europeans were on to a good thing with 1-inch 4-track. However, Dolby really became necessary with NAB equalization and especially with 24-track heads where the track width is the same as quarter-track stereo, 43 mils. The other multi-track formats in North America were all 70 mil tracks (4T 1/2", 8T 1", 16T 2").

We won't even talk about what happened when we went to 16T 1", 8T 1/2" and then to 16T 1/2" and 8T 1/4". The need for noise reduction went up and up and up.

Of course, the other factor is in multi-track recording, the random noise of all 24 (or more) channels is added together in the mixdown, making the need for noise reduction even greater.

I think it would be a great dis-service not to make a Dolby decoded version for the archive as part of the preservation suite and it should be marked "USE THIS COPY" because few people coming into this field today fully understand the noise compander process, and fewer still will understand it in the future.

As to the energy above 20 kHz, I think it's somewhat undefined. Audio passband was always considered to be 20 or 25 kHz and the rolloff wasn't soft. It was a struggle to get mics flat to 20 kHz and many good design requirements were "don't provide more bandwidth than you need" and tape rolloff occurred somewhere above 20 kHz so you have multiple poles all making sure that the signal nose-dived hard above 20 kHz.

I don't think you can accurately capture bias with a 192 ks/s digitization as that provides a 90 kHz (more or less) effective passband and that's below the bias frequency of most recorders. We've discussed this in the past and there is a blog article on my website about this.
http://richardhess.com/notes/2008/02/02/tape-recorder-bias-frequencies/

If you keep both, then you can do whatever manipulation you wish, including splitting the band and taking the material above 25 kHz or so from the unprocessed copy (but using it for control purposes, not for release).

IMHO, NOT decoding the Dolby is destroying the original signal--the Dolby-encoded signal was NEVER intended to be listened to without decoding. And, you NEVER mix Dolby-encoded signals from the multi-track without decoding each individual channel. You could say that the original signal was irreversibly compromised in the Dolby encoding with the knowledge that it would be de-compromised in a complementary way in the Dolby decoding process.

IF you have a recording made with a broken Dolby card, for example one band isn't functioning, you will need to break a Dolby card in the same way to recover the sound properly. This was not always noticeable as the same Dolby Cat 22 card was used for encode and decode in almost all of the Dolby frames.

NOT decoding the Dolby now would be a serious breach of trust for the preservation master as the availability of hardware and knowledge in the future is not guaranteed. The decoded Dolby is what the original producers heard and want they'd want you to hear.

You can look in your Dolby documentation and see if there are low-pass filters, but whatever they are they would be in both the record and play chains as it's essentially the same circuitry with the action turned around.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Richard