Re: [ARSCLIST] I put this up on eBay tonight.

I think a little differently - a penny to open is too low, for some records you might as well eliminate the bottom feeders if you know you don't want to part with it for less than $X. A penny gives the wrong message, that the item is without value to begin with.

I personally don't think you would get much response with a much lower opening bid, but you just don't know what something will sell for unless you offer it.

joe salerno

Andrew Hamilton wrote:
If it's really worth about twice as much, or more, than 100 USD, you are good to go. However, 100 USD for one such disc(, which isn't of a well known talent?), smacks to me as a bit high, or at least not far from what one could hope to fetch in this era, where even 33.333... rpm microgroove is considered by most of the bidding world to be charmingly antiquated and, at best, retro (a la Steam Punk). But a 1942 78 rpm acetate? Maybe Alan Lomax should inherit it? Or,.if you don't mind, do us all a favor and keep keeping it - for the Akashic records (of (wo-) mankind).

Furthermore, my studio landlord has what I consider to be a sage viewpoint on eBay. His strong opinion is that having a high "starting bid" negates the unique feature that auctions posses. Bidding wars can play a remarkable role in both determining the actual (fair to both parties) market value of an item as well as ensuring that the winning bid will be as close to that pecuniary sweet spot as one could hope for. He maintains that if one uses a steep entry price, there will less likely be any significant amount of bidding prior to the closeout time of the auction, which keeps the ultimate winning bid amount lower than if a "feeding frenzy" of visible, early outbidding can occuir.

Always have the opening bid be 0.01 dollars. Always use a reserve price that is as low as you can "live with." If you use the Buy It Now option, make sure you won't be disappointed by the amount you get should someone decide to purchase the item that way.

As long as you follow those rules, just sit back and enjoy the show.

_andrew

.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Roger and Allison Kulp" <thorenstd124@xxxxxxxxx>