Re: [ARSCLIST] LP sized scanner

I like the copystand approach for capturing sleeves and jackets.  We
use a Bencher VP400:

http://www.bencher.com/photo/vp400_50020.php

which provides a rock solid camera mount that is counter balanced if
you have a heavy digicam and lens mounted on it, and there is no
shake in the column for sharp images at low speeds.

We shoot with a Nikon D1x that has a firewire control option
and can directly output images to the computer.

We also use four high-power lamps with adjustable polarizers to
minimize reflections/glare and to get uniform lighting across
objects.

Be sure to use a lens with a minimum of distortion (ie pincushion
or barrel distortion).  We prefer fixed focal length lenses over
zooms.

You might include a GretagMacbeth reference in the image if you
want to calibrate the color of your images.  We do this for some
items.

Although a large bed scanner is slower, in some respects it is
easier to operate in that the images can be reviewed and
rescanned if necessary.  The bed scanner also provides higher
resolution and less distortion than a copystand.

The Nikon D1x with firewire control gives us similar capabilities
with the copystand, along with the ability to automate some of
the image collection (rather than download images from the
camera memory card and then sort/name them as needed).

The scanner also captures matrix numbers and other information
from the label area better than our copystand set-up.  So we
use a bed scanner for label scanning and capturing the runout
information.

Eric Jacobs

The Audio Archive, Inc.
tel: 408.221.2128