Re: [ARSCLIST] U-matic audio mastering

At 10:46 AM 2008-01-31, Jeff Willens wrote:

Unfortunately, the major label archives have many hundreds of thousands of one-of-a-kind digital masters still on this format (and nowhere else) that it's going to become an archiving nightmare very soon. Sony wants to pretty much forget it ever made the 1630, so they won't support it anymore. Hopefully, someone can take up the cause...

Hello, Jeff,

That is indeed bad news considering how many U-Matic tapes are developing sticky shed and other maladies. It was starting to get bad 5-7 years ago. I can only imagine how much worse it's getting.

PrestoSpace did a large analysis of U-Matic tapes and apparently, even by brand/model there were differences -- some batches were sticky, some not. I don't know if they ever came up with the "pool test kit" to determine life expectancy.

Is VidiPax equipped for 1630 transfer?

Cheers,

Richard