	From: Steve Abrams [mailto:steve.abrams@xxxxxxxxx]
	Sent: Friday, January 25, 2008 11:29 AM
	Subject: Re: The "dumbing down" of Downloaded Recordings[: FLAC,
APE ARE LOSSLESS COMPRESSION DISTRIBUTION FORMS]

	Pardon me, but I think that all of the posts so far on this
thread have completely missed the point.  MP3 was a useful dodge when
internet connections were slow and memory was expensive.  There is no
reason not to use lossless compression today - FLAC, APE &c.  Pristine
Classical now make their transfers available in FLAC format.  Internet
lists for free downloads of out of copyright recordings now offer high
bitrate MP3 (e.g. 320 mbps) and lossless files.  Even Mike Richter has
moved on from 32 kbps MP3 to APE in some instances. There is a lot of
material on the Internet Archive in SHORTEN and FLAC.  Apple have their
own lossless codec. Linn offers 24 bit downloads.

	Don't panic.  Progress has not suddenly come to an end.  The
general public never did like Hi Fi.  They preferred Walkmans and before
that trannies.

	The people on this list who bemoan the loss of hi fidelity are,
in a number of cases,  themselves the ones who are trying to kill it
off.  They will not mention SACD without insisting that the format is
dead, which is absurd.
	And you will find that they play their SACDs and CDs on DVD
players connected to near field monitors and surround sound systems.

	I think it is surround sound that offers the real challenge to
good sound.
	A hopeful sign is the fact that manufacturers are increasingly
offering stereo only SACD players.  You can get a decent player for
$1000.  There is no great point in playing SACDs on cheap equipment.
However, since most SACDs are so-called "hybrids" and compatible with
ordinary CD players, it is worth buying them, if only for the DSD
mastering.  Hi Fi dealers and manufacturers of expensive CD players are
the ones who have conspired against SACD.

	Steve Abrams