Re: [ARSCLIST] The "dumbing down" of Downloaded Recordings

I have now made five attempts to send this reply in the last hour. None have got through to the archives but two other, trivial, posts on this thread from me have got through.

SA

Pardon me, but I think that all of the posts so far on this thread have
completely missed the point.  MP3 was a useful dodge when internet
connections were slow and memory was expensive.  There is no reason not to
use lossless compression today - FLAC, APE &c.  Pristine Classical now make
their transfers available in FLAC format.  Internet lists for free downloads
of out of copyright recordings now offer high bitrate MP3 (e.g. 320 mbps)
and lossless files.  Even Mike Richter has moved on from 32 kbps MP3 to APE
in some instances. There is a lot of material on the Internet Archive in
SHORTEN and FLAC.  Apple have their own lossless codec. Linn offers 24 bit
downloads.

Don't panic.  Progress has not suddenly come to an end.  The general public
never did like Hi Fi.  They preferred Walkmans and before that trannies.

The people on this list who bemoan the loss of hi fidelity are, in a number
of cases,  themselves the ones who are trying to kill it off.  They will not
mention SACD without insisting that the format is dead, which is absurd.
And you will find that they play their SACDs and CDs on DVD players
connected to near field monitors and surround sound systems.

I think it is surround sound that offers the real challenge to good sound.
A hopeful sign is the fact that manufacturers are increasingly offering
stereo only SACD players.  You can get a decent player for $1000.  There is
no great point in playing SACDs on cheap equipment.  However, since most
SACDs are so-called "hybrids" and compatible with ordinary CD players, it is
worth buying them, if only for the DSD mastering.  Hi Fi dealers and
manufacturers of expensive CD players are the ones who have conspired
against SACD.

Steve Abrams

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Lindner" <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>