Re: [ARSCLIST] The balance of audio terror...

On Jan 22, 2008, at 9:07 PM, Scott Phillips wrote:

Bruce,

Just tried that, as I have one of those old floor standing 2" x 14" reel
tape degaussers. That thing is a very old RCA unit powerful enough to
change the earth's magnetic poles. The CD won't play any more due to the
arcing inside the disk from the induced currents. Aluminum isn't
magnetic, but you sure can induce electric currents in it.

Impressive!

I might as well have put it in the microwave. I tried it with another CD, using a hand degausser I'd normally use on 1/4" and 1/2" tape. It made a small audible difference.... caused no doubt by the increased error rate that I now measure and that is now at the 'error masking' level. Previously the error rate was well below that. I could be wrong, after all, it wasn't any more a scientific study than some of those other claims were.

Agreed. Not the microwave bit, though. But you confirm you heard a difference, as I suggested you might (or was it just that suggestion?). I too have heard a difference, but not necessarily an improvement. Nice to hear a hypothesis for the reason. Of course a magnetic field shouldn't affect aluminum...but there you go. So we have earned the right to an opinion, right or wrong. That's the point. We are not parrots.

Bruce

Scott

-----Original Message----- From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Bruce Kinch Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 9:19 PM To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Ampex ATR-102 opinion (was MD5 Hash Generators

Don't know. Didn't say it improved a CD. Just said it changed the sound.
Try it yourself if you have an old tape degausser. If you hear a change
you like, why not do it? If you don't hear a change, or think it sounds
worse, you probably wouldn't make a habit of it.

For that matter, they have gizmos that are designed to de-gauss LPs, but
I haven't heard that demonstrated.

I once had a discussion about audio tweaks with a real skeptic. If was
15 minutes before I thought to ask him if the copper bracelet on his
wrist really helped his arthritis. He assured me it did. My wife is a
physician, and she disagrees. But of course, she doesn't have arthritis.

Bruce