Re: [ARSCLIST] Alan Hovhaness 1984 Birthday Concert recording

Never encountered it myself..is it on an actual label, like Poseidon, or is it a one-off or copy of something privately circulated?

dl

John Ross wrote:
I have recently acquired a tape that is identified as "Alan Hovhaness 'Birthday Concert'," recorded in Seattle March 18, 1984. According to the concert program in the box, the concert included the World Premieres of his Opus 367 Sonata for Piano "On the Long Total Eclipse of the Moon, July 6, 1982," and "Invocations to Vahaken", Opus 54, No. 1 (1945) for piano and percussion, along with performances of three other pieces.

This is completely out of my area of expertise. Is this tape a copy of a widely available recording, or is it of interest to Hovhaness scholars (or perhaps both)? Is there a Hovhaness archive or other collection that might want this?

John Ross