Re: [ARSCLIST] Toscanini info?

I just went to the shelf and pulled the three Toscanini Wagner compilations on Victrola reissues (70s) and those dates are the same. Hadn't thought to look there previously. by the way, the sound on LM 6020 is atrocious..too much compression or something, overcutting to squeeze 29 minutes onto each side resulting in distortion on loud passages (and these are mint pressings, with various styli tried). Very tedious listening.

dl

Jim Long wrote:
The booklet that came with my Toscanini Collection CD set (RCA Victor Gold Seal 09026-60250-2, booklet copyright 1992) says, though of course I don't know how accurate the information is:

TRISTAN UND ISOLDE: PRELUDE and LIEBESTOD: January 7, 1952, Carnegie Hall, 18:32.

DIE GOTTERDAMMERUNG: PROLOGUE; SIEGFRIED'S RHINE JOURNEY: December 22, 1949, Carnegie Hall, 11:00, what is titled "Dawn & Siegfried's Rhine Journey." Thus the preceding is something of a guess for me (not a Wagner naming expert). But the only other close title is the same, recorded in 1941. LM-6020 being one of RCA Victor's 1950's "hi-fi" releases, I doubt that a 1941 recording would have been used.

DIE GOTTERDAMMERUNG, ACT III: SIEGFRIED'S FUNERAL MUSIC: January 3, 1952, Carnegie Hall, 13:20, as "Siegfried's Death & Funeral Music." A similar situation to the one above.

DIE MEISTERSINGER: ACT I, PRELUDE: March 11, 1946, Carnegie Hall, 8:57. I guess this wouldn't be tape. No other alternative to choose from.

DIE MEISTERSINGER: ACT III, PRELUDE: November 26, 1951, Carnegie Hall, 7:01.

SIEGFRIED IDYLL: July 29, 1952, Carnegie Hall, 17:37. Other choices are far earlier.

LOHENGRIN: ACT I, PRELUDE: October 22, 1951, Carnegie Hall, 8:41. Other choices far earlier.

LOHENGRIN: ACT III, PRELUDE: October 22, 1951, Carnegie Hall, 3:05. Other choice far earlier.

PARSIFAL: PRELUDE and GOOD FRIDAY SPELL: December 22, 1949, Carnegie Hall, 15:24 and 10:38, respectively.