[ARSCLIST] fwd: Modifying a linear turntable

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Enrico Borsetti is an ARSC member but not subscribed to the list.

enrico borsetti wrote:
I had an idea recently regarding a modification on a turntable I have. I am using for the 26th year my loyal Revox B790 linear tracking turntable but it has only 33 and 45 speeds. I have many 78 rpm records and I want to buy another B790 since being linear tracking it gives no aural distortion when the arm get close to the label as you know. The speed control unit, which is made by easy to find IC's, should be modified in manner to let the table spin at 78. I have the schematic of the motherboard and arm control unit of the B790. Today the whole work done by these old IC's can be made with a single PIC microcontroller (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PIC_microcontroller).
Do you know of any Electronic engineer (and record collector at the same time) interested to take part in this 'upgrade' project?
I think this 'upgrade' project could be of interest to many collectors and our 78-L friends since this 'table pops-up often on ebay and at reasonable prices, I saw it around $200/$300 in working condition. If the upgrade will be produced in a certain quantity the motherboard cost will be around $60 if not even less. So within $350 you can play your 78's but with the quality of a linear tracking table!
Let me know what you think about it.
All the best Enrico

Replies will be forwarded. Thanks!

dl