To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2008 7:44 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Libraries, circulation copies and fair use

Roger and Allison Kulp wrote:
I don't see why not.

Roger

My understanding - non-professional - is that it is illegal for the library or any other owner of a commercial DVD-Video to make a copy of it. That applies whether the issue is in print or not. If making a copy is deemed theft, then having the disc would put the library and any borrower in possession of stolen property.

That would seem to make it impossible to circulate a copy legally.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/