Re: [ARSCLIST] CD-R question

At 07:29 PM 2008-01-04, George Brock-Nannestad wrote:

----- I have a heretic question:

 - dependent on the use, why not increase the speed of the cassette in a
calibrated way while transferring (squeezing 90 minutes onto 80 minutes) and
use the varispeed on your replay CD machine? On the other hand, using just 45
minutes on the CD will leave a good marginal area that is unrecorded on both
CDs, so they will not mind writing of readable information.

----- one good reply is that the squeezing is 12.5%, while the range of the
varispeed only is -12.0%. Oh, well, almost there.

- my first contribution for 2008, thinking out loud (a lot of you do on this
list, you know!)

Hi, George,

Indeed this is a good idea with several exceptions.

The bulk of my clients who want CDs want them to play everywhere and want to be able to clone them for relatives, etc. (Aunt Martha and the Kiddies, etc.)

In a small archive, the people using this will not want to figure it out. It's easier to have two CDs in one jewel case. Side A, Side B. Done.

I am trying very hard -- especially after Dietrich Schuller was adament about this at JTS this June -- to get larger clients to consider file systems rather than CDs, so it becomes a non-issue. Even some private clients are opting for DVDs with WAV files.

I don't think the cost of saving the CD (although there is a finite cost to setting the CD up) is really worth the bother.

Since we recently had a discussion here of stagger-head stereo tapes and possibly some not getting de-staggered prior to CD release, anything that has to be "dealt with" during a future migration is likely not to happen, so I fear that there would be some "chipmunk" recordings propagated down the line from this idea. I have little faith that this would be addressed on playback, especially considering the rarity of varispeed CD players.