Re: [ARSCLIST] Fine studio, was Re: Early Mercury LP

Yeah, yeah, I know..1956 for My Fair Lady.

David Lennick wrote:

At this point someone will jump in and ask why anyone in his right mind wouldn't use master tapes when they exist. Know what, folks? Master tapes can deteriorate, be badly wound, develop print through..recently I did a transfer of "My Fair Lady" (don't ask!) and I had an original 1955 Canadian pressing from my family's collection, an early 70s pressing, a TimeLife issue and a Sony CD. Two guesses which copy sounded brightest and fullest and, oh yeah, didn't have any evidence of print through.

dl