Re: [ARSCLIST] How not to mike an orchestra/the death of high fidelity

Roger,

	As an owner of a great deal of wonderful vintage equipment as
well as a large assortment of very current digital studio gear,
(including Protools HD), I feel compelled to say, don't blame the gear,
blame the humans using them. I've got mics ranging from RCA 44's,
original (and wonderful) original issue M49's to cheesy mics made in
China. Gear ranging from Pultec's, LA-2A's through Focusrite preamps.
The first hardware Eventide Harmonizer, gritty ugly, and wonderful.
Ultra modern digital processing gear along with lots of plug-in's. It is
ALL good !! You just don't need to use everything on everything... just
use the least possible the music needs. Sometimes that is my 2 analog 24
track machines, sometimes Protools. Many times it is just a couple of
microphones, now and then quite a few. The trick is not letting the gear
get in the way of the music, and as Tom said, PRODUCE the durn stuff. It
shouldn't be a plan of throw up 80 tracks of microphones and a click
track, we can sort it out later ! Know where you want to go, make the
choices along the way, and it mixes itself at the end. Forget the click
track... that and editing strip out any chance of the humanity and feel
from the music. Humans are never 100% on time... so why would we want
the music to be..?

As I heard on a Utube segment, compress very gently. Without quiet,
there is no loud. I don't remember who said it, but that about sums it
up.

Just an opinionated rant, please ignore as desired... :>)

\Scott