Re: [ARSCLIST] Early Mercury LP

I have most of that material on 78s, so they came first..possibly dubbed from 16" lacquers. It certainly sounds as if these were among the first in what came to be the "Living Presence" style, along with Stravinsky's Dumbarton Oaks Concerto (which was originally issued on Keynote, just as Mercury was taking the label over).

dl

Dnjchi@xxxxxxx wrote:
I've come upon an early Mercury LP, dark red cover with gold-embossed lettering: MG10003, Mitchell Miller with the Saidenberg Little Symphony, Daniel Saidenberg conducting works by Cimarosa, Luis Milan and Vaughn Williams. It was produced by Robert Fine at the Reeves Beaux Arts Studios in NYC in 1947. Notes are by David Hall. The disc is in fine shape and the grooves are pristne. Was this album, recorded in 1947, done to be dubbed onto 78s? Or was there movement toward releasing the first LPs before 1948? A note says "A single microphone was placed approximately 30 feet from the players."
Don Chichester

**************************************See AOL's top rated recipes (http://food.aol.com/top-rated-recipes?NCID=aoltop00030000000004)