Re: [ARSCLIST] How not to mike an orchestra

Don Cox wrote:
On 02/01/08, phillip holmes wrote:

Another thing about musicians is that they tend to project what they
expect to hear over what they are actually hearing. It's like our
spouse hearing a "yes" when we clearly said "no". That happens. If
they've heard a particular piece hundreds of times, and they've played
it too, they stop listening to details because they're intimately
familiar with it. The recording is taken for granted. They just hear
things that are "out of the ordinary", like a note that's changed due
to errata, or some extreme of tempo, or a dramatic change in
interpretation, etc... This is like our daily commute to work. How
many can say they actually pay close attention to their surroundings
on their daily drive?

I have the impression that when Toscanini listened to a recording or a
broadcast, all he heard was the tempo.

What gives you that impression? Dave Sarser, who both played fiddle with the orchestra and maintained Maestro's audio system, can be consulted, but I doubt that he would agree.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/