Re: [ARSCLIST] Oddball formats (was Distance between staggered heads)

In a message dated 12/31/2007 4:06:33 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
arclists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

--The  arcuate-recorded voice logging system that used wide tape and a
head that  swung back and forth as the tape moved slowly. Conceptually
like quad  videotape, but instead of a headwheel, it has a pivoting  head.

******************

Around 1960 I found in a military surplus junkyard a  recorder that used four
heads on a rotating drum facing the tape, sort of like a  milling machine. It
recorded narrow curved tracks across a very wide tape.

I've always have wished that I could have bought the  machine but it was
built to be mounted in a battleship and much to big and heavy  for me to handle at
the time.

I still have a virgin roll of the tape for the  machine: "Scotch Sound
Recording Tape No. MT 20406, 8-1/2 in. X 206 Ft." It is  on a machined pressboard
core with key slots to fit on a spindle of some sort. I  wonder if somewhere
there are cases of used rolls waiting to reveal secrets of  the cold war era.

I bought the roll with the idea of cutting it  up for a Brush magnetic disc
recorder if I ever found one, another format,  which I played with at a
neighbor's house as a child.  I've finally  acquired a disc recorder, but will
probably try 8" computer discs on it  instead of cutting into the Scotch MT 20406.

Mike Csontos