Re: [ARSCLIST] Distance between staggered heads

on 12/31/07 1:44 PM US/Central, Scott Phillips at scottp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
wrote:

> A side effect of this is that when exploring a batch of paper based tape
> that had been reused on half track machines, I was able to recover the
> original recordings, mostly McCarthy-Army hearings and radio dramas, by
> positioning a quarter track head to read between the two newer tracks.

This shows up very clearly on a 4-channel 1/4" machine, but I think
original, center track format often found on paper based tape was slightly
wider than half track.

--
Parker Dinkins
MasterDigital Corporation