Re: [ARSCLIST] Distance between staggered heads

Now THAT is interesting, and truly a format I was unaware of. So much to
learn, so little time in life..

-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mwcpc6@xxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, December 31, 2007 1:36 PM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Distance between staggered heads

One format that has always puzzled me was the early Brush Soundmirrors
that used a half track positioned in the middle of the tape. Was the
idea to reduce  the effects of poor tape guiding at the expense of
fringe effects?

A side effect of this is that when exploring a batch of paper based tape
that had been reused on half track machines, I was able to recover the
original recordings, mostly McCarthy-Army hearings and radio dramas, by
positioning a quarter track head to read between the two newer tracks.

How often do archivists check for residual recordings of this kind on
tapes of this vintage? There could be interesting stuff there.

Mike Csontos