Re: [ARSCLIST] Distance between staggered heads

As an anecdotal aside, back in the early '50s, when stereo recording was
fairly new, my college A/V department discovered that the (cheap) Pentron record
head had a gap head that could be removed from the body and reversed, putting
 the half track on the other side of the tape.  Taking 2 Pentron recorders,
switching the gap on one of them, and placing them up close to each other, it
was possible to feed a reel from the left machine, through the  guide, across
the space between the machines, and through the guide of the  right machine,
thence to the pickup reel.  Feeding a divided stereo signal,  left
machine/right machine, a stereo tape could be made, and recreated at  will.  We set up
mikes in the binaural orientation, and had someone record  the 'cutting of one's
hair'.  Using headphones the effect was  startling!  The innocent listener
felt certain someone was fooling with his  hair!
Ah, those were the good old days.....

Don Chichester