Re: [ARSCLIST] A Holiday vision

You are forgetting the whole New York/CBGBs scene that gave us (the) Ramones (Who wrote some damn fine pop songs),Patti Smith,and the rest.What was happening on the west coast/LA area,with X,Fear,and such.Pere Ubu,and the Ohio bands.No,punk was a worldwide movement.There were bands in New Zealand,Brazil,Poland,and East Germany,among other places.Dig up the "Killed by Death" and especially the "Bloodstains" series of compilations.  http://www.lipstickkillers.com/comphell/bloodstains.html

A few of the finest songwriters ever were active in the early 50s,they just weren't writing for the white pop market.Percy Mayfield,and Hank Snow are two of the more obvious examples.

This  was also the era that saw the rise of one Les Baxter.A man I,and many others,consider one of the  great pop music geniuses of the 20th Century,in the same class as one Edward Kennedy Ellington.

                                         Roger

"Steven C. Barr(x)" <stevenc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: ----- Original Message -----
Keep in mind that the (supposed, anyway) point of "Punk Rock" was
originally a message thrown at Margaret Thatcher...who had slashed
welfare and unemployment benefits, at the request of her corporate
masters...! The punk-rock reply was, "If we have to support ourselves
with no help, we'll try playing music, even though we're really
bad at it...!"

Okeh...that said, 1950-1955 represents a nadir of popular music
in North America...an era which gave us such unforgettable tunes
as "Doggie In the Window"..."Oh, Mein Papa"..."That's Amore"...
"Tennessee Waltz"...et al...?!

And...can ANYBODY out there in Radio-Land name a memorable
popular song and/or recording of the 1992-2007 period...AND...
hum the tune back to me in identifiable form...?!
(reciting rap "lyrics" does NOT count...?!)

Steven C. Brr