Re: [ARSCLIST] A gripe Was: A Holiday vision

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Culture_on_the_Skids
Their best are:
http://www.google.com/musicl?lid=92OmKHlLgLL&aid=PLx0-jMUO9B
http://www.google.com/musicl?lid=O7IEGKHERTB&aid=PLx0-jMUO9B
http://www.google.com/musicl?lid=tU0QPMzBOIN&aid=PLx0-jMUO9B
http://ogami.subpop.com/bands/makers/oldsite/bio.html
http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/album/221225/review/5945787/rockstargod

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvCIPpWFo7Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGc2f2282NE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPbmt6rR5ns
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ940y2ggY0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDSshhUpZ8M
2007 not 1967
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ouI5KcyHfE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUN0TyTmQ4s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCBZzPDS0qU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSva8ULs59c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_se5P3yioO4

Very little of the good music that is out there,that was worthwhile ever became popular.The period of 1955-70,being the exception that proved the rule.

That said,I personally have no period I "nostalgic for".I listen to everybody from Billy Murray to obscure South American big bands of the 60s to Blur.Two of my all-time favorite periods/genres of music/recordings are 1925-55 classical,and 1976-82 punk and new wave.Count Basie has just as much merit in my book,as does The Chocolate Watchband,or for that matter Richard  Adler and Jerry Ross. Quick,without a "Google",who were they?

I can appreciate the most low-brow,lo-fi unknown 60s garage rock,as much as I do an Ansermet blueback.Just not on the same level.

Who else here can say this ?

The fact that there aren't many,is perhaps the biggest disappointment I have found in all of the time I have spent hanging out here.

My complaint about music nowadays,as I have said here before,there has been nothing radically new,and different for decades.There is nobody who completely changed the status quo,rewrote all the rules,or created something entirely new the way WC Handy,Earnest Stoneman and Jimmie Rodgers,Robert Johnson, Arnold Schoenberg,Dizzy Gillespie,and Charlie Parker, Elvis Presley ,Miles Davis,Laurel Aitken (EVERYBODY here should know who he was,and be able to name at least five of his songs.Without a web search!) and Bob Marley,Bob Dylan, James Brown,Parliament/ Funkadelic,The Beatles, or The Sex Pistols did.Until there is,I will continue to be bearish on the future of music.For me,the indie rock boom of the 90s,was the last gasp of anything interesting and worthwhile.

                                          Roger

Bob Olhsson <olh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: -----Original Message-----
>From Ethan Clauset: "...I have no doubt that you could time-shift this
statement backwards
about 100 years and someone in 1907 would have said the same thing
about the perilously declining quality of popular music in their
day..."

I believed this for the first ten or fifteen years I found myself
disappointed by the music that seemed to be receiving the most exposure.

Then I realized that while fashion and nostalgia components have always been
an integral part of popular music, there is something far more substantial
and compelling that had led me to put up with the roller coaster life that
is any professional career in the music business. This has been the effect
good music has on my body, i.e. how it feels to sing along or even just
breathe with what I hear, the goose bumps on my arm when a large string
section swells. I've frequently experienced this kind of a physical response
to music from other cultures that I had no previous experience with. Old
recordings have reminded me of it but the physical acoustical experience of
the Count Basie band was profound and undeniable despite my never having
heard that kind of music live up to that point in my life. I'd go so far as
to question whether any recording has been fully capable of capturing and
reproducing the experience of listening to the music of any genre or era.
Certainly there has always been manufactured pop music that lacked substance
but at the same time there was also popular music that was profoundly moving
by any measure. This second stream, the one that cut across cultural
identity and language is what has been missing in action for some years. I
have no reason not to believe that the decline in substantial popular music
is the reason why a lot of the younger generation is yawning at the whole
idea of music other than as merely a fashion statement.

I don't think there's any getting around it being a fact that music has not
been doing very well in our culture for more than a decade. Hopefully at
least some of us can do something about that problem.

Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
615.385.8051 http://www.hyperback.com