Re: [ARSCLIST] Internet audio: What do you expect of it ?

Yes, EMP will scramble transistor based equipment. That's not to say that the military hasn't taken steps to harden the equipment to EMP. All aircraft used by the military have been hardened, and I would assume that most other critical devices are also shielded to protect them. Anyway, tube stuff shrugs it off like it didn't even happen. It's easy to explain, too. The very small junctions in transistor stuff are easy to break down with an over voltage. This is one of the reasons that transistor stuff will just mysteriously stop working. You should see what kind of spikes are on the AC lines. And there's also static electricity that can be in the thousands of volts. On the other hand, tubes are primarily thermal devices and need to be really abused to be destroyed. The only thing I could foresee that would destroy a tube in a nuclear scenario is arching from the cathode to the anode during the voltage spike. I'm sure one of the reasons there are gas voltage regulator tubes and huge chokes in FAA and military equipment is to prevent those spikes from reaching the signal tubes. Also, the power supplies in tube equipment seem to respond to changes in line voltage slower than transistor stuff, just from my observations while working on the things. At the very worst, you just replace some of the tubes and you're back in business. Not so with a complicated microprocessor based machine. Also, the FAA has a large cache of tubes (or they did a few years ago). Phillip