Re: [ARSCLIST] Piston Symphony #2

One wonders how many original mothers/stampers from the early Lp era are out there ?There are special machines out there that can play theses back.Don't forget a lot of tapes out there in label archives may not always be first generation.If they are they may not always be playable.

                                      Roger

Don Cox <doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: On 18/12/07, David Lennick wrote:
> Thanks! And info from another source had confirmed my suspicion that
> it's in A Minor. Amazing how far off pitch some early LPs were..also
> amazing how some were issued from master tapes that seemed to come
> into close proximity with the playback head about 50% of the time.

Early LPs were mostly very poor, like early CDs.

I don't understand the current fashion for making CD transfers from LP
pressings, except in cases where the studio master tapes are truly lost.
For example, why would anyone want a Callas opera recording transferred
from an early EMI LP, when the same performance is available transferred
from the tapes?

Regards
--
Don Cox