Re: [ARSCLIST] Lossy compression losing quality (was Re: [ARSCLIST] Pristine Audio and the Milllennials . . .)

Tom Fine wrote:
To Roger's point about a good-quality USB turntable. I agree it's only a matter of time. There's no rocket science involved. It's simply a turntable, RIAA preamp, A-D converter and USB interface, likely on one printed circuit board. Your big challenges, from a quality standpoint, are really in the RIAA preamp.

I'm tempted to offer a seasonal "Bah, humbug!" - but will resist.

The preamp problems are readily solved and a commercial preamp is available at very low cost which does a fine job from MM input to USB. I had two complaints: no level control so the 16-bit encoding was a potential issue; no MC capability, an essential for LPs of quality.

Unfortunately, the major issue is the hardware: turntable, arm, cartridge. Not a serious issue for someone who can't be without his Mantovani, scratches and all, but something else if you care about bass resonance, clean highs and 'frills' like anti-skating.

The market for the all-in-one package is the low end where they cannot afford to deliver the sort of table, arm and cartridge that any serious recordist would demand.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/