To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, December 14, 2007 6:39 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Folkways Reissues

At 12/14/2007 02:54 PM, Tom Fine wrote:
This stuff the LOC produced belongs to US, it was paid for by US, it should be available to US, forever (for a reasonable production/media/duping/packaging/shipping fee, of course).

The rights to the recordings may belong to the LOC, but the performances are another thing entirely. Unless the performers on those recordings (or their heirs) sign off on them, the Library can't always release them for public sale, even if they were less careful back in the days of those old LPs and 78s.

John Ross