Re: [ARSCLIST] Pathe 12" Waldorf-Astoria DO

----- Original Message -----
From: "Roger and Allison Kulp" <thorenstd124@xxxxxxxxx>
> My guess is Okeh
>
> Mine are overtures (One being "La Boheme".),by some European Orchestra,with no
conductor credited.Don't want to dig the one or two I have out now.One of these
I bought on eBay,in the 1917 US Odeon Fredrich Kark Beethoven #7 set. The final
record in the set was missing,which was not mentioned,in the listing when I
bought it.and the Okeh was replaced in the pocket.Anybody got a replacement
record of the final disc for me ?

> At the time,both Odeon and Okeh were both pressed by The National Phonograph
Company.Others know more about the history of National Phonograph than I do,but
I assume some of these Okehs were of recordings acquired as European Odeon
recordings,they tried issuing on Okeh.

> Someone here might be able to fill me in more on this.

Prior to the US entering WWI, Okeh was a product of the Otto
Heinemann Phonograph Supply Company...which in turn was an arm
of the Lindstrom operation (German-based). As such, Okeh was
closely related to the Odeon and Parlophone labels in various
European countries. Note that the two labels in the UK had to
be separated from the German firm in 1914!

Okeh, via its Lindstrom connection, owned the rights to both
the Odeon name and its non-US recordings; in fact, Odeon was
used in the twenties as a label to provide ethnic recordings
(many European) to Okeh's clientele. Even into the forties,
Okeh (by then owned by CBS) issued Parlophone/Odeon sides
and vice versa (mostly British at that time).

There was also a very short-lived US Odeon label which issued
popular music.