[ARSCLIST] Pristine's rework of Robert Johnson

Folks,

Regarding the sample track of Robert Johnson's "Ramblin' On My Mind" on the Pristine Classical website, I listened to it several days ago when it was first brought to our attention. I liked it well enough. I didn't take time that day to compare it with other versions I had on hand, but it seemed to me the XR remastered version sounded clearer and truer, overall a bit closer to "hi-fi", than the reissues I'd heard in the past. I was well aware of the digital hash, but I didn't consider it a deal-breaker necessarily.

I love doing freelance audio restoration of older audio sources, usually using Audition or Sound Forge. I look forward to being able to afford better software some sweet day. Meanwhile, I apply my noise reduction tools conservatively. I'm 54, and old enough to find that shellac noise sometimes offers me pleasantly nostalgic feelings. I don't feel a need to remove it all. I've been doing this for over ten years now, and have contributed noise-reduction work to a well-regarded local re-issue label.

In doing audio restoration, one will often be faced with trade-offs. For example, I can have less background noise and an arguably better overall sound on a given recording, if I can live with some slight artifacts. That quandary is more likely to arise when the source recording supplied is in pretty bad shape. In such a case, particularly where the client is not a highly sensitive audiophile, it can be tempting to go with the clearer version, and accept slight evidence of digital processing as a reasonable price to pay.

Although it hasn't come to this yet, I can imagine offering a client two finished products, at negligible cost beyond that quoted for one. They would get both an artifact-free, noisier version, and a generally quieter one that includes transient digital flaws.

I can also foresee doing the same when restoring recordings from my own collection. When I'm feeling more ethically strict, or simply more nostalgic, I might choose the noisier file. On a more forward-looking day, or perhaps when playing music in the car, I might choose the quieter copy that has a few artifacts.

The point being, sometimes the price one has to pay to hear a significantly quieter/clearer restoration of an old audio source is exorbitant in terms of artifacts, and sometimes it is reasonably payable.

What I liked about the XR "remastering" of Robert Johnson was that he sounded closer and more real, less distant in both time and location. I suppose some slight reverb was added. At first I wondered if this was an exciting revelation of real echo existing in the original, though long obscured by the various limitations of a shellac pressing. Having listened a few more times, and comparing this version to a near-mint vinyl LP, I'm pretty sure the reverberation I hear was added in. I don't believe it's a digital artifact, the other possible explanation.

Okay, I've gone on long enough. Just wanted to say a few words in defense of this remaster. It's got some nice, live-sounding presence and an absence of traditional fog. The added scritch in the high end is unfortunate, but I can see how someone might choose to live with it, in order to hear Robert Johnson sounding a bit less cloaked by the intervening decades.

Best wishes,
Rod Brown