Re: [ARSCLIST] Audio History In a Nutshell?

Steven C. Barr(x) wrote:

For what it's worth...I watched a hapless and abandoned CD do exactly
THAT after a week's exposure to our Canadian winter weather! It started
out as a CD (probably a CD-R...?), and after laying in the gutter for
several days it had turned into "a clear plastic disc with a hole in it...?!"

The dye in a CD-R is sensitive to light. It's not the winter weather, just the sunlight or, presumably, the UV from that light which gets through the clouds.

I tested this some years ago (yes, I have a habit of running tests when I have questions). I put an Azo blank in the Southern California summer sun for about three hours with a card covering about half the surface. Sho 'nuff, the covered area remained dark blue, the exposed area was a pale blue, soon to go clear. If the same happens to a 'clear' (straw-colored) dye in other discs, it will be less easily seen.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/