Re: [ARSCLIST] Pathe 12" Waldorf-Astoria DO

Actually Pathes,were kind of an odd size.The ones I have,from about 1917-19, are all something like 11.5",these all being purple label violin records.

                                  Roger

"Steven C. Barr(x)" <stevenc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I've never seen a 12" PA...OTOH, I'm not surprised by the existence of
at least one...?! I would assume this was a lateral-cut version of a
12" sapphire-cut Pathe issue (if you can find a listing of those, you
can verify this...?!). Pathe initially issued the label as a way to
sell their recordings to folks with Victrolas/Graphonolas and the
like (after experimenting with other "needle-cut" lateral dubs on
Empire/Operaphone/World/client pressings in 1919-20...!)...so may
have done likewise with 12" sapphire-cut issues?

The director would presumably be Joseph Knecht, who led his
"Waldorf-Astoria Dance Orchestra)...Knecht recorded for most of
the early record companies at the time...?

Steven C. Barr