Re: [ARSCLIST] Pristine Audio and the Milllennials . . .

Howard Friedman wrote:
If you really want to hear "what our ancestors heard," go bakc to the Pearl LP and/or CD releases. They are very proud of the fact they their transcriptions are untouched by an equalization! That is, if you actually prefer all that surface noise! The case in point here would be Pearl's 5 CD set of the complete Tetrazzini recordings. Such scratching!

Howard Friedman

Pearl eventually saw the light and began to issue clean-sounding transfers, but when I first started doing reissues for them in 1993, the "honest original scratch" was definitely their policy, coupled with manual click removal (the use of CEDAR cost $3 per finished minute at the one studio in Toronto that had the first CEDAR unit). If I was borrowing a record from, say, Jeff Healey, and he said it wasn't in good condition, I'd say "It's for Pearl" and he'd say "Okay, it's perfect." There was one compilation I did where I had vinyls for one recording so I dubbed in surface noise....

dl