From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mike Richter
Sent: Sunday, December 09, 2007 12:04 AM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Pristine Audio and the Milllennials . . .

Howard Friedman wrote:
> Why would ANYONE want to play a 78rpm record on an old Victrola or any
other vintage phonograph - er, pardon me, gramophone, with a weight of
30 or more grams on the stylus, scraping away what is probably the best
recorded surface that was ever on the record, when one has
state-of-the-art turntables today that need a mere 2-3 grams weight?

Because the sound may reflect what one's ancestors heard.

I ran a test a decade ago - not with a Victrola but a Grafonola - and
posted the results with various needles, two different distances between
the mike and the Grafonola, and comparison with an RCA transfer.

The page can be reposted if there is interest, but the feedback matched
my own opinion: the sound of John McCormack's voice varied widely. While
some were more pleasant than others, none could be called "best" or
"most accurate".

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx