To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, December 07, 2007 3:43 PM
Subject: [ARSCLIST] December issue of Black Grooves

The December issue of Black Grooves has now been posted at www.blackgrooves.org.<http://blackgrooves.org/>

We're kicking off our holiday issue with a great feature on the history of gospel Christmas music recordings by (fellow ARSC member) Bob Marovich, publisher of the Black Gospel Blog. For the first time we're also featuring several documentaries and feature films that are not yet available on DVD (put these on your "wish list"), including Honeydripper, a John Sayles film about the birth of rock 'n' roll starring Austin guitarist Gary Clark Jr., with appearances by Dr. Mable John, Keb Mo and tenor saxophonist Eddie Shaw; Chasin' Gus' Ghost, a documentary on the history of jug band music that traces its African American roots back to Louisville and Memphis; and Music is My Life, Politics My Mistress, a documentary about Oscar Brown, Jr., Chicago's "High Priest of Hip." New DVD releases include cELLAbration Live!, Smithsonian Folkways 50th anniversary tribute to Ella Jenkins, the "First Lady of Children's Music," and Delmark's Gettin' Up, documenting the final live performances of Chicago blues harpist Carey Bell, who died last May. Delmark has also just released Messin' Around Blues, a CD of "enhanced pianola rolls" recorded in the late 1920s by Chicago boogie woogie pianist Jimmy Blythe. Other CDs reviewed in this issue include the latest releases from R&B songstress Angie Stone and Black Eyed Peas frontman will.i.am, plus the long-awaited U.S. edition of Afro Strut by Detroit's Amp Fiddler. And for the hip hop fan on your holiday gift list, check out the beautiful new coffee table book Born in the Bronx: A Visual Record of the Early Days of Hip Hop.

That's it for this month- a happy holiday to all.

Brenda Nelson-Strauss

Archives of African American Music and Culture

Indiana University

2805 E. 10th, Suite 180

Bloomington, IN 47408

812-855-7530