Re: [ARSCLIST] Pristine Audio (?!)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ward Duffield" <wardd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2007 5:54 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Pristine Audio (?!)

-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Tom Fine
Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2007 6:09 AM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

There's also a whole separate issue of not even knowing WHAT to use to hear
things properly. Notice
in Mike Casey's report that a few pages are spent talking about "proper
listening environment."

Is there any consensus on cost-effective, accurate speakers?

There has never been an industry-wide standard for professional monitor loudspeaker
performance, and probably never will be. But if there were, at least for studios in which
serious audio restoration work is done, I believe it would be a major step forward in the
quest for consistent results. As for the small speakers (eg. Mackie), I think these are
inadequate; if your audio has rumble between 10 and 30 Hz, you won't even know it.
A sub woofer is essential!

Doug