Re: [ARSCLIST] Audio History In a Nutshell?

Aaron Levinson <aaron.levinson@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Does anyone know of a single recording that started life as a
> cylinder
> migrated to 78 went over to Microgroove eventually ended up on CD
> and
> finally is now offered as an mp3?

Any of the three cylinder recordings Caruso made for the
Anglo-Italian Commerce Company, although so far as I know these did
not appear on standard 78s but rather on vertical-cut Pathe discs.
They also are probably not offered for sale by EMI or Sony/BMG as MP3
downloads, but it is certainly possible to make an MP3 file from the
CDs, and these have been reissued at least five times on CD that I am
aware of. (1 RCA/Ariola, 2 EMI, 1 Ward Marston for Pearl, 1 Ward
Marston either for his own label or Romophone, I forget).

Michael Shoshani
Chicago