[ARSCLIST] Codecs: Windows NG

> The latest windoze media codecs are first rate and Microsoft, to their
> credit, is the only outfit I'm aware of investing in actual
> research to
> improve codec technology. While Apple licensed some of the best
> technology,
> Microsoft hired the people who developed a lot of the technology
> both Apple
> and Real uses.

Sorry, can't agree with this at all.

By far the best codec work has been done at or by the Faunhofer organization
in Germany.

Microsoft had a brief merger with RealAudio just long enough to steal the
technology, and presumably some of the folks who worked on it.   As an audio
professional who has used both Windows and Apple platforms, I have to say once
again that Windows is way more problematic.   Lots of third party professional
and semi-professional software runs fine on both platforms, and some of the best
are Windows-only, but that's no credit to Lord Bill.   And consensus is that
Vista was not an advance at all in this regard.

Dave Radlauer
www.JAZZHOT.Bigstep.com

Check out AOL's list of 2007's hottest
products.