[ARSCLIST] How to determine the state of tapes?

Hello all,

I work in an archive which has accumulated many different sorts of tapes
over the years (individual collectors donating material to the archive).

How do I determine the state of the tapes? Is the a way to guess the state
based on the tape material - recent discussions on this list suggest this -
and if so where do I get information on the tapes?

Thanks!
Maurice Mengel