To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2007 9:54 PM
Subject: [ARSCLIST] And more on Scotch tape

Tom,

Thanks for your input, too.

I would like the best quality I can get, however, as tape a lot more
expensive per minute than CDRs, I'll probably do most recording on 7 1/2
ips.  Maybe some 15 ips just for tests.

I don't have any noise reduction equipment for the Technics, so I'll just be
relying on the good electronics and (hopefully) good tape.

The tape isn't free, but I feel like the price is pretty good, especially
for the quantity offered.

When you say, "By the way, keep in mind recommended operating levels. I
believe you'll want to stick to 185-200 nWb for old Scotch 176/211 types,
even for 206, without Dolby NR.
For something like 911, and Richard will correct me if I'm wrong, I think
it's safe to operate at 250 nWb," are you referring to audio levels?  I've
been making sound recordings all my life, but I've just started messing
around with the Technics deck.  I feel a little foolish, but what does "nWb"
mean and the numbers 185, 200, and 250 mean?  My VU meters only have
negative and positive decibels on them.

Thanks for your help,
Sammy