From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Sammy Jones
Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2007 8:55 PM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ARSCLIST] And more on Scotch tape

Tom,

Thanks for your input, too.

I would like the best quality I can get, however, as tape a lot more
expensive per minute than CDRs, I'll probably do most recording on 7 1/2
ips.  Maybe some 15 ips just for tests.

I don't have any noise reduction equipment for the Technics, so I'll
just be relying on the good electronics and (hopefully) good tape.

The tape isn't free, but I feel like the price is pretty good,
especially for the quantity offered.

When you say, "By the way, keep in mind recommended operating levels. I
believe you'll want to stick to 185-200 nWb for old Scotch 176/211
types, even for 206, without Dolby NR.
For something like 911, and Richard will correct me if I'm wrong, I
think it's safe to operate at 250 nWb," are you referring to audio
levels?  I've been making sound recordings all my life, but I've just
started messing around with the Technics deck.  I feel a little foolish,
but what does "nWb"
mean and the numbers 185, 200, and 250 mean?  My VU meters only have
negative and positive decibels on them.

Thanks for your help,
Sammy