Re: [ARSCLIST] Scotch Reel to Reel tape

At 10:44 PM 2007-11-13, Sammy Jones wrote:

Can anybody recommend particular audio tapes that are still manufactured or
ones that aren't, but are still available in good quantity?

I will be recording on a Technics 1520 reel to reel deck in half-track
stereo that is in excellent condition.

Hello, Sammy,

The only analog audio tape that I have used for recording in a very long time is BASF/EMTEC 911. That went away and is now back as RMGI 911. In fact, I had a client come to me the last year that EMTEC was selling the stuff (2001-2002?) and I bought 200 7-inch reels to make sure I'd have enough for their project. In fact, I only needed 120. Wouldn't you know, the client came back to me and now wanted 16 more, so even the boxes on their shelves will match.

It is gorgeous tape and at least the last of the EMTEC was still made with European precision. I am pretty sure that your Technics will bias up to that. Tom Fine knows more about that machine than I do. I'm recording full-track mono on two Studer A810s at the moment.

You can obtain RMGI from U.S. Recording, among other places.
http://www.usrecordingmedia.com/1oprereta1.html

I would stay away from any tapes that are more than 10 years old, and any of the Quantegy/Ampex tapes. I don't think that 176/177 has been made for 20 years. While I have recorded on 55=year-old Magnetophonband Typ L with good results (at the time I did it, about five years ago, it's now 60 years old). I would not recommend it other than for a demonstration project.

While I have no guarantee any of the tapes will last, I _think_ your best bet is with the RMGI.

Cheers,

Richard