Re: [ARSCLIST] Soviet Recordings

Soviet or Russian ? Both Victor and Columbia were pressing "ethnic" records in Russian,in the 1900s.

                                      Roger

Natalie Zelensky <nzelensky@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: Hello,

I am trying to gather information on the early distribution of Soviet recordings in the US.

1.  What was the first recording of Soviet songs that was released in the US? (year?; label? contents?)

2.  I also am trying to find more information regarding subsequent distribution of recordings of Soviet songs in the US.  (Labels?; History?; Would the companies simply copy from eachother and resell under their respective labels?).  Based on my research in American and Russian-American papers, it appears that Stinson and the "Am-Rus Music Corporation" were the first distributors of these records - is this true?  Does anyone know anything else about this "Am-Rus" company?

3.  Could anyone tell me more about the "World's Fair" recording.  (Year?; Contents?; Performers?).

4.  Does anyone have any suggestions for sources about early Soviet recordigs in the US?

Thank you very much.

N. Zelensky
Windows Live Hotmail and Microsoft Office Outlook ? together at last.  Get it now.