Re: [ARSCLIST] Soviet Recordings

There's no one "World's Fair" recording..lots of titles were exported over here with those labels in 1939 (although my understanding is that the records came but the Russians didn't, because of impending war). Once those pressings were sold off, Stinson Trading Corp. had new masters dubbed from them and continued to sell them as US pressings.

I'm sure others will have lots to add..Mike Biel, where are you?

dl

Natalie Zelensky wrote:
Hello,

I am trying to gather information on the early distribution of Soviet recordings in the US.

1. What was the first recording of Soviet songs that was released in the US? (year?; label? contents?)

2. I also am trying to find more information regarding subsequent distribution of recordings of Soviet songs in the US. (Labels?; History?; Would the companies simply copy from eachother and resell under their respective labels?). Based on my research in American and Russian-American papers, it appears that Stinson and the "Am-Rus Music Corporation" were the first distributors of these records - is this true? Does anyone know anything else about this "Am-Rus" company?

3. Could anyone tell me more about the "World's Fair" recording. (Year?; Contents?; Performers?).

4. Does anyone have any suggestions for sources about early Soviet recordigs in the US?

Thank you very much.

N. Zelensky
Windows Live Hotmail and Microsoft Office Outlook – together at last.  Get it now.