To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, November 10, 2007 6:41 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Dawn of digital -- more info provided and more needed

Archie Shepp: Ballads For Trane (1984 CD issue 35C38-7264) has no mention of digital recording. Recorded May 7, 1977 at Long View Farm Recording Studio, North Brookfield, Massachusetts. Engineer Jesse Henderson. There is no "PCM Digital Recording" as there are on other later Denon CDs, nor any "DDD". So I believe this is not of interest in this case.

Later digitally recorded Denon CDs were done at Sound Ideas Studio, NYC with Jim McCurdy as engineer. For example, Tommy Flanagan & Kenny Barron: Together (1984 CD issue 38C38-7263), recorded December 6, 1978.

So, On Green Dolphin Street, the other Shepp record, would fit the description much better. It was recorded November 28, 1977 which sounds like "end of 1977" to me.

Mike

mike at jazzdiscography.com
www.jazzdiscography.com