To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2007 4:11 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] the origin of scratchin'

David,

If we are literal enough to interpret the question as you did, I believe
the only possible inventor of the "scratch" should be limited to the
initial inventor(s) of stylus based media; I'm speaking pre-disc record,
and possibly even pre-cylinder.

I feel it safe to assume that said inventor(s) would have most likely
stopped, paused, reversed, or scratched the media inadvertently or
purposely during the test and development phase of their invention.

So now that we've answered Tom in a manner that is equally literal and
useless, I'm sure he'll re-ask the question to include the obvious
assumption he was referencing.

Don Andes
EMI Music

P.S. I don't mean this email to belittle the influence of you or your
"scratching" on the greater fabric of our musical culture. Tom's own
assumed answer pointed to a specific DJ (Grandmaster Flash) so I though
to pick up his assumed reference to Hip Hop, which as I stated earlier
was un-influenced by any High Art vinyl turntablism that may have
proceeded it.