Re: [ARSCLIST] Ultrasonic Disc Cleaning

Kurt,

I have often encountered 78s,with the bubbles,or pimples you speak of,but have never known the cause.Thanks for the explanation.

Is there any way for the "average" consumer to be able to try this method on their own vinyl ?

As you say here,the fact CDs are laminated,would make such a cleaning impractical for CDs.I would never try it on them.There are simpler ways to destroy the little buggers :).

                                           Roger

Kurt Nauck <nauck@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks for the explanation. I can see how ultrasonic cleaning would
be suitable for vinyl, as you are dealing with an impermeable
surface. But a shellac disc is porous - not because of the shellac
itself, but because of the fillers. As you know, if you subject a 78
to moisture (even high humidity), you will develop a grainy surface.
That is due to the swelling of fibrous (porous) material imbedded in
the surface of the shellac as it soaks up the moisture. Exposure to
ultrasonic waves in a bath would seem to rapidly accelerate this
process, as the solution permeates every available fissure at a
molecular level. It may not be evident if you play the disc
immediately after the bath, but eventually this phenomenon would
manifest itself.

Of course, a laminated disc would be even more susceptible to damage
- anywhere there is an opening, fluid will creep in. A crack or split
would not need to be visible for this to occur, and the outer edge of
the record would most assuredly be affected.

Comments and corrections welcome. (Indeed, I hope I'm wrong, as I
have a large ultrasonic bath that could clean numerous discs at a
time. The rotisserie feature would be easily constructed. I sometimes
remove label stickers with spit, but this is the first time I've
heard of using a spit to clean several discs at a time!)

Kurt Nauck

c/o Nauck's Vintage Records
22004 Sherrod Ln.
Spring, TX  77389