Re: [ARSCLIST] Shamrock 031 and Soft Binder Syndrome (Squeal)

Okay, finally found a sticky reel of 031! Yayyy! Mildewy, too. I had to check 3 before I found one that was sticky, all from the same period (early 80s) and all badly stored in cold and hot environments and in a basement fruit cellar noted for dampness. And only ONE out of 3 tapes was bad..and only mildly sticky at that. I'll send it along to Sarah.

dl

David Lennick wrote:
Actually I don't recall having had squeal problems with the non-backcoated 031, even when I expected to. It's their 1-mil that always goes rotten..I've made up a package of various examples of Shamrock and other rotten tape for Sarah Norris to bake, burn, boil, freeze, puree or turn into dental floss as per her request of a few weeks ago for tape to experiment on. But no smooth 031 because I didn't have any bad samples of the stuff around.

I should check one row of tapes I did in the early 80s..transferred a set of transcriptions specifically using 031, and now that I've re-transferred those discs from the originals, the tapes can be used or tossed (they were in a somewhat moisture-prone room for a few years so who knows what else may have happened to them).

dl

Richard L. Hess wrote:
Hi, All,

Have any of you ever had the pleasure of attempting to play Shamrock 031 tape?

Actually, I think 031 is whatever Ampex in Opelika wanted to put in the box. Some squeals really bad and does not respond to baking.

Problem is, at the moment I don't have a 1/4-track head for my refrigerated machine. I thought while I was building that up, I'd query you folks about any other recovery methods you might have used for Shamrock 031, AKA the green squealer. It's a black tape with black oxide and no back-coating--at least the ones that squeal.

Thanks!

Cheers,

Richard

Richard L. Hess                   email: richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx