Re: [ARSCLIST] Recordings of lynchings?

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the "Without Sanctuary" exhibit
from a few years back that dealt with this very topic.  There is
plenty of information about it online.  The first page of this Google
search leads to many resources:
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=gmail&q=lynching%20photographs%20exhibit
Warning: the images are indeed disturbing, but the articles discuss
the subject matter in a very thorough and introspective manner,
including the merits of allowing this material to be seen.

That said, it seems like we're seriously straying from anything to do
with recorded sound, and tensions are already running high on the
listserv and bordering on personal attacks.  Since no one seems to be
able to answer the original question put forth (are there recordings
of these crimes available, not "should there be"), I respectfully
suggest that we drop this and move on.

---------
Trey Bunn
Audiovisual Conservator